India is a land of vast diversity and the two southern states of India are very rich in traditions, culture and natural beauty. I am talking about God’s own country Kerala and Tamil Nadu. Where Kerala offers beautiful beaches, backwaters, tea gardens; Tamil Nadu offers artistic temples including Rameshwaram and southernmost city of India mainland, Kanyakumari.
Visiting southernmost cities of India: Trivandrum and Kanyakumari
I will try to present the memorable journey through this part of my country in the form of photo essay:
- Varkala beach: Lovely town and beach 60 kms north of capital city of Trivandrum in Kerala state. Sea gets complimented by cliffs across the sand. Refreshing cafes and hotels are numerous, very famous among foreigners.
- Napier museum complex: This is a famous landmark in Trivandrum city. This complex includes various museums, Zoo and Aquarium.
- Poovar Island: Beautiful backwaters area neat Trivandrum that has numerous luxury resorts and floating cottages. Visitors can opt for backwater boat ride among mangroves forest, a paradise for bird lovers.
- Kovalam beach: Very famous beach in Trivandrum, ideal to spend lazy evening with love ones.
- Kanyakumari: It’s the southernmost city of India mainland in the state of Tamil Nadu. It can be visited as day trip from Trivandrum. Major attraction to visit are Vivekananda memorial and Thiruvalluvar statue build on island rocks. Swami Vivekananda was a great philosopher of modern India who is famous in west by his speech at the Parliament of World’s Religions in 1893 at Chicago. Thiruvalluvar was the famous Tamil poet and philosopher.